Y’all! When people would tell me they made homemade playdough, I’m pretty sure my eyes could be seen rolling to the back of my head. Then, one day this long weekend, my friend Amy (who’s the art teacher at our school) came over and suggested we make it with C. Okay, fine. Let’s give it a try.
IT’S SO EASY! I feel like such a fool. It’s way easier than ordering on Amazon Prime, which is the gold standard for me (and trust me…I don’t say that about many things).
Great texture. Non-toxic (which is important because B will eat it if you turn around). Doesn’t stick to anything. It’s BETTER THAN THE REAL THING. I’m still in disbelief.
Here are all of the ingredients you need. Bonus points if you have everything in your kitchen already.
Funny story — my cream of tartar expired October 2011. Extra bonus points for 7 year old cream of tartar!
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil (although any oil will do)
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- food coloring (I used gel)
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar with the vegetable oil until coated.
- In a small saucepan, boil water and add your choice of food coloring to reach your desired color.
- Pour in the boiling, colored water slowly
- Mix all the ingredients together until they form the dough.
Seriously. It doesn’t get much easier than that. About a 5 minute process from start to finish…and C loves playing with it! No eyes rolling over here.