This past week has been so wet and rainy I’ve felt we needed a boat to move through our day. It’s been so long since I’ve felt “summer” weather that I had almost forgotten what summer storms were like, when the weather gets sticky and humid and the sky decides to suddenly open up. It was time to make a chocolate cake since we’ve been stuck indoors. Plus, C can’t really play in the rain because he still has an Ace bandage holding his arm bones together.
I’ve tried so many chocolate cake recipes — some dry, some too moist, some too plain and not chocolatey enough. It seemed that I couldn’t find a good chocolate cake mix that didn’t take a ton of time. When you need a cake in a pinch, you need a cake! It’s so incredibly easy to put together — only requiring ONE bowl. That’s right, folks. ONE. BOWL.
Here’s to hoping for some rainbows in the sky after all of this weather!
Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Sift them through a strainer.
Add the rest of the ingredients to your bowl until you get these beauties ready to go into the oven.
This week is brought to you by this sparkling wine in a can!
The decorating part was a great activity for two toddlers. B is learning her colors and C is an expert sorter who likes to tell B what she’s doing wrong. It’s a match made in heaven!
While the kiddos were occupied sorting (or in B’s case, eating the M&Ms because she doesn’t understand that concept of sorting yet), I was doing the icing. Aluminum foil strips under the cake makes for a pretty cake at the end. You don’t want to forget this step!
And here’s the end product! Enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
This cake takes about 20 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake. That ain’t bad!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two nine inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ½ c unsalted butter
- 2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1/3 c milk
Melt butter in the microwave. Stir in the cocoa powder. Alternate between adding sugar and milk, and beat until it’s a spreading consistency. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add more milk if necessary.