These crispy smashed potatoes are so easy, you don't even need me, but it's a nice reminder if you love potatoes like I do and want to switch up your regular go-to. For us, our go-to is always a baked potato.
Although they look like they had a really rough hump day (sounds familiar), these potatoes have all of the joys of a baked potato but the crispiness of a fried potato without all of the fat.
You'll just boil some small potatoes (like Yukon gold or, in this case, red potatoes) for about 20 minutes until they're fork tender. You don't want them too soft or else when you mash them they'll all fall apart. Spread them out on a baking sheet and use a glass cup or jar to gently smash them. It's cool if little pieces come off because those pieces are the most delicious to eat anyway.
Using a pastry brush or just your hands, coat each potato with a thin layer of olive oil , then generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, and maybe a little bit of paprika or Italian seasoning. These would be delicious with any kind of herbs. I needed my kids to eat these, so they couldn't possibly see too much green on them...or else...
Bake them at 425 for 15-20 more minutes. Take them out, sprinkle with some herbs of your choice (here, I just used chives). These would also be delicious with some Parmesan cheese and sour cream.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes
- 12-15 small baby potatoes red or Yukon gold
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- toppings of your choice: cheese, chives, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil small Yukon gold or red potatoes in a medium-sized saucepan for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While they’re still hot but not burning you, place potatoes on a sheet pan and smash using a heavy jar or cup. Lightly coat potatoes with olive oil and generously salt and pepper each. You could also add some herbs (Italian seasoning or paprika are my favorites).
- Bake for 15-20 more minutes until crispy and brown.
- Top with more herbs, cheese, or sour cream.