This Nothing Bundt Cakes copycat recipe is a take on their classic vanilla bundt cake — except with the addition of chocolate chips!
This past week, I craved a cake I’ve only had a couple of times. Isn’t that bizarre? Parents will sometimes drop off goodies to the main office randomly for staff to munch on — and when they have brought a Nothing Bundt Cakes bundt cake, my day is absolutely made. The bundt cakes are so moist, fluffy, and flavorful…I just don’t know what’s not to like.
Have you had one?
Their business model is ingenious and clearly they have a niche. There’s only a handful of flavors done well. I can’t say that I’ve had all of them, but the ones I have had are so good.
Nothing Bundt Love for Their Cakes
Since my craving didn’t allow me to place an order in advance, I scoured the interwebs for the Nothing Bundt Cakes secret recipe that makes the cake so moist. I knew the recipe had to have pudding for sure — and I also didn’t really feel like making a cake from scratch because #kids. Thanks to some pantry staples, we ended up with our take on their classic vanilla bundt cake, with the addition of some chocolate chips because, again, #kids.
Feel free to leave those out if you want to stay true to the OG classic vanilla recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vanilla Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
Yesssss! This recipe uses a boxed cake mix — making it a perfect cake to bake with small kids! They can basically do everything themselves except put the cake in the oven.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- sour cream
- vegetable or canola oil
- chocolate chips (optional)
Unlike some homemade cakes, this cake is very forgiving, so if you step away and your kids have added more sour cream — no biggie. You won’t have a sloppy mess of a cake if the measurements aren’t exactly right. That’s the beauty of boxed cake mix…very forgiving.
And I know Nothing Bundt Cake’s vanilla bundt cake does not contain chocolate chips, so feel free to leave these out. This cake is a hybrid between their classic vanilla and chocolate chocolate chip bundt cakes. It also ended a tiresome argument about what kind of cake we’re going to make because one is an adamant vanilla cake lover and the other chocolate.
Nothing Bundt Cake’s Secret Recipe Adaptations
Once you know the basic recipe, you can really use ANY boxed cake mix for this. Simply sub out the kind of boxed cake mix that’s most appropriate as well as the instant pudding. The rest of the ingredients remain the same.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes red velvet copycat recipe – use red velvet cake mix + vanilla instant pudding
- Nothing Bundt Cakes chocolate chocolate chip copycat recipe: use chocolate cake mix + chocolate instant pudding
- Nothing Bundt Cake’s lemon bundt copycat recipe: use lemon boxed cake mix + lemon instant pudding
And with fall coming up — ditch all of the above and buy a pumpkin cake mix and keep the vanilla pudding to replicate Nothing Bundt Cake’s seasonal pumpkin spice bundt cake. You can also keep the cream cheese frosting (see below) because pumpkin and cheesecake are a dream pairing. Easy peasy.
Cream Cheese Frosting
One of the things I really appreciate about Nothing Bundt Cakes’ marketing is how to do their frosting — which is incredibly easy to make and apply. The visual of thick bands of frosting makes you immediately know it’s from their store.
You don’t need any special ingredients to frost — just get a large plastic bag or pastry bag, cut the corner off, and pipe thick frosting lines from the outside to the center of the cake.
The actual cream cheese frosting is pretty standard and adds some butter for additional creaminess. Here are the ingredients:
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
Other Bundt Cakes to Sink Your Teeth Into
- Double Chocolate Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache is one of my most popular recipes– and for good reason!
- Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze – perfect for fall coming up!
- Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Vanilla Maple Glaze — to bookmark for the upcoming holidays!
- Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake — bright and cheery, this cake is delicious year round.
Nothing Bundt Love for y’all,
Nothing Bundt Cakes Copycat Cake Recipe – Classic Vanilla
- 1 package vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease and flour bundt cake well until all of the crevices are covered. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the cake ingredients except the chocolate chips together until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips at the end. Pour batter into bundt cake pan and give cake a little shake to ensure batter is evenly distributed. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in bundt pan for EXACTLY 10 minutes before flipping the cake onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, beat all of the frosting ingredients together in stand mixer with whisk attachment until light and fluffy. When cake is completely cool, frost the cake by placing frosting in large plastic bag. Cut one corner of the bag off and pipe frosting from the outside to the inside center hole. Repeat until the cake is covered.