This is an easy peasy giant Halloween cookie cake that's great to make with kids. No mixer or fancy instructions necessary!
I'm not sure where the month of October went -- but, again, I have said the same thing since this pandemic began. Halloween is on Sunday, and we have all the fun Halloween snacks and treats ready to go.
This is a great Halloween dessert to make with kids because it's no fuss -- no special equipment, no letting the dough chill, and all simple techniques the kids can do (i.e., pour and stir). The recipe has been adapted from my kids' Young Chefs' Club subscription box from last month, which was all about cookies! We had a lot of fun with this one as you can imagine.
Ingredients You'll Need for this Halloween Cookie Cake
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- unsalted butter
- dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if you need to)
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
- can of white frosting
- orange food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles (optional)
No Springform Pan, No Problem!
If you don't have a springform pan, just use a 9" cake pan. When the cookie cake has cooled a little bit (but not all the way...I generally follow the 10 minute rule), turn the pan over onto a platter. A springform pan just makes getting the cookie cake out all the easier, but it's not necessary.
Decorating the Cookie Cake
I used just a can of Pillsbury frosting because #easy, but you can always make your own frosting from scratch. I mixed orange food coloring right into the frosting can, gave it a good stir, then stuck the frosting into a pastry bag. I used Wilton Tip 21 to pipe the icing directly onto the cake.
Other Halloween Recipes to Try
- Chocolate Brownie M&M cookies
- 5 Easy, Healthy Halloween Snacks
- Mummy Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Skull Cake
Halloween Cookie Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 can White frosting
- orange food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and make sure oven rack is in the middle of the oven. Spray inside bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and use a spatula to gently stir until combined -- just until no flour is visible. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Even place cookie dough in greased springform pan evenly around the bottom. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and edges are set. Run knife along the edge of pan and unlock to remove side of pan. Let cool before icing.
- For icing: Please 2 drops of orange food coloring in a container of white icing. Stir well. Place icing in a pastry bag (I used Wilton Tip #21) to pipe icing in concentric circles around cookie. Sprinkle with Halloween sprinkles. Enjoy!