If chicken soup is good for the soul…then this Weeknight Chicken Tortellini Soup is even better. Chicken soup has a warmness that’s undeniable and adding some tortellini to the mixture makes it even more fulfilling and cozy.
This Weeknight Chicken Tortellini Soup is perfect for a fall weeknight. We made it last night after a busy day of work, then to the doctor to get everyone a flu shot. And can I just pause for a moment and tell you how much C was oddly excited about this? I picked them up from school super early because I was positive it was going to be a show to get them out of there knowing they were going to the doctor’s for a shot, but C just announced it loud and proud to everyone (“Friends! I’m getting a shot! I’m going right now to get a shot!”). B, on the other hand, was not amused (“Will you stay with me? I’m scared.”) But when it came down to actually getting the shot, B didn’t even seem to feel it. That made C freak out a little bit because the bar was set higher after he talked a big game about wanting to go first and how he wouldn’t even cry.
It’ll take you about 40 minutes from start to finish to make this soup, and that includes chopping all of the vegetables (carrots, onions, celery, and garlic). You can ALWAYS buy the pre-cut mirepoix (I think that’s the right term) they sell in the pre-chopped section at Whole Foods. I’ve been known to buy that stuff when I’m desperate. Ain’t no shame in that game. Otherwise, I use cutting as a therapeutic outlet and save the $6 to make a boozy and chocolately Baileys Poke Cake or Chocolate Snack Cake (aka Chocolate Lifestyle Cake or John’s favorite Key Lime Pie.
As far as tortellini, I love Artisola’s fresh tortellini. Not only do my kids eat it (usually covered with butter and parmesan), but they don’t even know it has spinach inside of it, so it’s a sneaky way of getting them to eat double the vegetables for a night. You can find this in the refrigerated cheese and fresh pasta section at Whole Foods.
If you make anything on the blog, be sure to comment below or tag a sista on Instagram. Nothing makes me happier than people enjoying my food!
Weeknight Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery finely chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked chicken sliced, pulled, or diced
- 1 package of whatever tortellini your heart desires
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 Place your chicken breasts on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Generously salt and pepper chicken breasts. Put chicken in the oven for 20-30 minutes*.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to large pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add your onions and saute for about 5-8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add your celery, carrots, and garlic and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and Italian seasoning. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a rolling simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add your chicken and tortellini and cook for another 4 minutes or so (this will be longer if your tortellini isn’t fresuntil fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with your chopped parsley.