These Kahlua brownies with Kahlua Whipped Cream use boxed brownie mix and involve a 5 minute whipped cream. What's not to like!?
These brownies aren't rocket science, but they are a HUGE hit with everyone. They involve brownie mix that's doctored up with a bit of booze (enter Kahlua) then topped with a whipped cream Kahlua frosting. I mean -- what more is there to ask for?
I have already written extensively on how I've given up making brownies from scratch in the post for Brownie Pizza Cake with Fresh Berries and Whipped Cream, but suffice it to say brownie mix reigns supreme over in our house. Don't be scared to use the boxed mix.
Baking with Kahlúa
Kahlua is a coffee liqueur from Veracruz Mexico -- comprised of rum, sugar, and 100% Arabica coffee. It has 20% alcohol by volume, so it's less than straight up rum but it has more alcohol than Baileys. (Another difference between Kahlua and Baileys is that Baileys has some additional creaminess than Kahlua doesn't have.)
It's a natural pairing with chocolate because coffee accentuates the flavor of chocolate.
In these Kahlua brownies, the Kahlua is going to replace the water in your brownie mix. Consult the back of the package to make sure, but most brownie mixes require ⅓ cup of water. Instead, use ⅓ cup of Kahlua.
Simple as that.
Kahlua Brownies from a Mix? Yes, please.
Our favorite brownie mix is Ghirardelli and we can buy the mixes in bulk at Costco, but Duncan Hines also has a pretty mean mix, too. Use whatever you have on hand and prefer the most. It's more of a personal preference!
Do you like cake-like or the extra fudgy ones? These can be adapted for either kind!
Tips for Making These Brownies
- Grease then line 9" square pan with parchment paper. This will allow you to remove the brownies from the pan to let them cool further. Then you can cut and ice!
- Adults only, please. Don't give these brownies to kids. 😂😂 May go without saying -- but for real, the alcohol cooks out of the brownies but does not cook out of the frosting.
Kahlua Frosting or Icing
Do you use the term frosting or icing? Are these two terms interchangeable? I don't even know.
This Kahlua frosting requires just four ingredients: heavy whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, Kahlua, and vanilla extract.
Start by whipping the heavy cream until the cream starts coming together. Then gradually add your confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar), then Kahlua, then vanilla extract. Stop when your cream reaches stiff peaks.
You should be able to pull the whisk out of your frosting from the stand mixer and the frosting should stick straight up like a mountain.
Other Recipes Using Liqueurs
- Baileys Chocolate Poke Cake
- Kahlua Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Elderflower Pound Cake
- Meyer Lemon Elderflower Cake
Kahlua Brownies with Kahlua Whipped Cream
For the brownies:
- 1 package of your favorite brownie mix + all necessary ingredients
- ⅓ cup kahlua
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup kahlua
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven according to package and spray or great a 9" square pan then line with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie mix as directed EXCEPT instead of water, use kahlua and mix into brownie batter. Bake as directed.
- For the whipping cream: In a stand mixer with whisk attachment or using a hand mixer, beat heavy cream until cream just starts to come together. Gradually add confectioner's sugar while continuing to beat the cream. Add vanilla and kahlua slowly and beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Be careful to not over beat!
- When brownies are cooled, remove from pan, cut, and top with the kahlua whipped cream. (I used a Russian ball tip to pipe mine...but you could easily spread the cream out with a knife all over the tops of the brownies.