These baked chicken burgers are juicy and flavorful ad loaded with bell peppers and Italian herbs to make one lean, mean, and easy dinner you can throw together in minutes.
It’s hard to believe spring is here and it’s already April. I’m still on the comfort foods kick, so it’s hard for my brain to transition to spring produce right now, but I am looking forward to burger season…eating a juicy burger on the back patio while the kids play and I can sip on some wine.
Ground chicken is one of the ground meats I tend to forget about, but it’s so juicy and moist, you’ll wonder why you don’t eat it more often, especially in burger form.
Can You Bake Chicken Burgers?
Yes!! And it’s the simplest way to make them because you can put the chicken patties in the oven and forget about them for 20 minutes while you yell at your kids some more or hide in the bathroom.
Ground chicken is also super lean compared to ground beef, so you won’t have grease to contend with and feel like you need to squeeze your patty out before you eat it.
If you don’t want to bake these chicken burgers, you can definitely pan fry or even cook them in an air fryer, but I don’t own an air fryer (I’m kinda anti-kitchen appliance). I’ve just heard my friends rave about cooking them on theirs.
Ingredients: Mostly Pantry Staples
Another huge win with these burgers is that you likely have most of these ingredients in your pantry now. A total dinner time win. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ground chicken
- Italian bread crumbs (see tips and tricks below if you don’t have Italian breadcrumbs)
- bell pepper (I used both green and yellow for some variety)
- salt and pepper
How to Oven Cook Chicken Burgers
So simple, even your toddler can do it. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Gently combine the ingredients with your hands and form 6 patties that are about 1″ thick. Place patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Then bake the chicken burgers at 400˚ for 20 minutes. DONE.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t over-handle your meat. Ground chicken is pretty moist and you don’t want to work the ground chicken so much that it turns flat and slimy.
- Use whatever fresh or dried herbs you have in the house. You can easily adapt this recipe to add garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika OR fresh lemon thyme or rosemary…there are a lot of options.
- If you don’t have Italian breadcrumbs, just use regular Panko breadcrumbs and add 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
- Be sure the center of your burger reaches 165˚ F and your chicken is cooked through. Chicken isn’t like ground beef where you can eat it medium obvi.
Toppings and Sides
Toppings are the best. Here, I used cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of Dijon mustard because that’s what I had in my refrigerator. I would have definitely loved some sliced avocados but, alas, beggars can’t be choosers.
As a side item, try this Spinach Salad with Mandarins and a Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette or these Crispy Roasted Parsnip Fries with Thyme. Or in the thick of summertime these Grilled Corn with Spicy Aioli would be delish.
Baked Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup bell pepper (I used both green and yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- buns, mayo, mustard, tomato, lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix with your hands. Form 4-6 patties with your hands that are about 3/4"-1" thick. Place on parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken is 165˚.
- Place burger on bun and dress it up with your favorite toppings.