Easy to make and such a satisfying way to get your greens in, this Banana Spinach Smoothie is a perfect breakfast or snack that is ready in less than 5 minutes.
Worn Slap Out, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Each of your purchases via Amazon links supports Worn Slap Out at no additional cost to you.
Apparently, I'm anemic sometimes. I thought it was only during pregnancy, but my body needs more iron even when I'm not giving some to a growing baby. It's good enough where I don't have to have any medical intervention, so I'm doing my best to control it through diet. Lots of salads. So many spinach and kale salads. Lots of beans. But sometimes a girl gets a little sick of those things.
Helloooooo, my little green smoothie friend. This is a great way for me to pack in the iron without feeling like I'm just an animal chewing on grass all day (which -- don't get me wrong -- I'm a total fan of -- but there are also limits on the number of salads I can eat in a given day). This smoothie is a refreshing alternative, and something I can actually get excited about.
Banana Spinach Smoothie Benefits
Green smoothies are very healthy thanks to the iron and other vitamins and minerals spinach and fruit have. There's so much to love besides iron:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
Start With Your Base, Then Add Add-Ins
This banana spinach smoothie is delicious as is (and how I eat it), but there are numerous ways to mix it up or add even more nutritional value. Take a look at some of these ideas:
Fruit & Fruit Juice Substitutions
Fresh or frozen fruit work great. If you're using frozen fruit straight from the freezer, I usually don't add ice but if I'm using fresh fruit, I grab a handful of ice to include.
Don't have peaches? Try substituting for any of the following fruits below. If you don't have fresh fruit, add ¼ cup of fruit juice instead.
Add in Creaminess
You can easily sub in your favorite yogurt instead of the almond milk to make the smoothie extra creamy. This banana spinach smoothie is also delicious with peanut butter if that's your jam or a half of an avocado.
- chia seeds for added protein
- protein powder
- acai berries
- flax seeds
- gogi berries
- nutritional yeast
How to Make a Smoothie with Frozen Fruit and Milk
All you do is throw everything into a blender and turn that bad boy on high for 30 seconds to a minute. Feel free to add more liquid or other add-ins (see below) based on your preferred consistency.
Tips for Making the Best Banana Spinach Smoothie
- Get a high-powered blender. The good blenders are so much better at blending foods than a cheaper one, so if you enjoy smoothies, soups and other blendy foods, you'll definitely want to invest in a quality blender.
- Add ice (or not). If you want your smoothie to be extra cold, throw a handful of ice cubes in. If I'm using frozen fruit straight from the freezer and am eating the smoothie right away, sometimes I leave the ice out.
- Make it when you need it. I don't recommend making this smoothie in advance. It's much better when it's drunk right away.
- Get creative. There are so many ways to jazz up this green smoothie if you're getting a little bored. Use this recipe as a base.
Banana Spinach Smoothie Calories
I'm not a calorie counter, but this question comes up a lot for people looking for smoothie recipes. According to Very Well Fit, there are 212 calories in this smoothie.
Other Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Blueberry Muffins with Pecan Streusel
- Healthy Egg and Vegetable Bake
- Fresh Baked Blueberry Muffins with Pecan Streusel
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- No Bake Homemade Cereal Bars
- Fresh Baked Blueberry Donuts
Easy Banana Spinach Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- ½ cup frozen peaches (OR any kind of fresh or frozen fruit OR ¼ cup fruit juice)
- handful of ice (optional)
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients. Blend on high for 20-30 seconds until everything is well blended.
- Transfer to a cup and enjoy!