Using only three ingredients, this Chili Cheese Dip is a crowd pleaser for football games or an easy appetizer, and it's a delicious way to use up leftover chili!
Who's in the Super Bowl this year? I'm only slightly kidding. My "Super Bowl" was about a month ago when Georgia won our second back-to-back national championship game against TCU. For these last couple of games leading up to the national championship game, it was all very ritualistic around here. Wear the same clothes you were wearing last time they won. Sit in the same spot you were sitting in. Make brownies shaped like Georgia G's before every game. It was honestly quite exhausting but it did pay off. Now with the Super Bowl coming up next weekend, it can be all fun and games, which really means it can be all about FOOTBALL FOOD.
This Chili Cheese Dip was born out of a need to do something delicious with my leftover chili. Yes, I can eat chili with rice or pasta, add cheese and sour cream or maybe some jalapeños to mix it up, but at the end of the day, I'm still eating chili. This chili cheese dip is delicious AND it doesn't make you feel like you're still eating the same chili.
This Chili Cheese Dip is made with just three ingredients and takes under 5 minutes to make. You'll be the hero of the Super Bowl party when you roll in with cheese dip. It's hearty, customizable, and oh-so-cheesy. It's a winning combination.
Three Ingredients Is All You Need
That's right. You don't need much except for these three ingredients:
- Leftover chili. Homemade is definitely preferable. This is my Mom's Easy Weeknight Chili, and it's the only chili I will eat. It's beyond basic, so if you're a chili connoisseur, feel free to spice it up (more on that below). If you're needing this chili cheese dip in a pinch, you could always get Hormel canned chili and call it a day.
- Cream cheese. Cream cheese makes this dip so creamy and luxurious. Get the full fat kind not the low-fat stuff.
- Cheese. Use your favorite kind of block cheese that you grate yourself. I like extra sharp cheddar but you could use pepper jack or a blend. Do NOT use pre-shredded cheese because it doesn't melt the same way. It'll just be goopy and sit on top of the chili rather than be incorporated into the dip.
How to Make the Best Chili Cheese Dip
I love recipes that repurpose food in a new way to trick you into forgetting that you're eating leftovers. This is my kind of meal!
First, combine all of the ingredients into a small sauce pan. Over medium-low heat, melt the cheeses until they are incorporated into the chili. Stir until the chili cheese dip is warm.
Then, immediately transfer to a small bowl and serve with your favorite chips, vegetables, or bread. It's the easiest and most delicious way to eat leftover chili!
Depending on the type of chili you are using, you may want to customize this chili cheese dip even more. Consider adding two different types of cheese (pepper jack and extra sharp cheddar, for example), jalapeños for a little spice, or a sizable dash of cayenne pepper for extra heat.
How to Make in the Crock Pot
If you want to use a crock pot, simply add all of the ingredients into the crockpot. Place the lid on and heat on low for 1-2 hours.
Pro Tips On Making Chili Cheese Dip That's A Crowd Pleaser
Here are just a couple of tips I've had to learn the hard way, and I hope this saves you, too:
- Shred your own cheese! As I mentioned above in the ingredients section, pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt like the block of cheese you grate yourself.
- Serve while it's still warm! Like an cheese dip, this one is best served warm. When it cools off, just stick in back in the pot and reheat over medium-low heat until warm or put it in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds at a time.
Other Game Day Foods To Try
- Nutella Puppy Chow
- BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos
- Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese and Honey
Chili Cheese Dip
- 2 cups homemade chili (or canned if you're in a pinch)
- 4 oz. cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar freshly shredded
- Combine the ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir until the cheeses are melted and warm.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips, vegetables, or bread!