Using only a few ingredients like butter, chocolate, and Chex cereal, this "puppy chow" is taken up a notch by adding Nutella. This Nutella Puppy Chow will remind you of your childhood.
I'm not really sure who came up with the term "puppy chow" but they were smart to not just say "dog food" because that's just gross. The puppy part really softens the name. Regardless of the odd name, I grew up eating my fair share of puppy chow thanks to my mom's best friend. She used to make it when we were younger. I don't even think I knew what I was eating -- because the buttery chocolatey goodness is covered in a thin layer of powdered sugar -- but I knew it was good and I couldn't stop eating. Her version had peanut butter -- and this one is just straight chocolate.
It's not your typical after school snack (unless you wanted your children to bounce off the walls for hours during bedtime), but it's the perfect holiday or special-occasion snack. You could mix in Valentine's M&Ms or Valentine's sprinkles, foe example. Just so many options. And let's be honest -- this sugary treat is a childhood rite of passage. At least that's what I'm sticking to.
What the $*@% is Puppy Chow?
If you're not familiar with this Southern delicacy (jk), it's just Chex mix cereal (or you could use Crispix) coated in butter and chocolate then doused in powdered sugar. The chocolate mixture binds the cereal together, making extra delicious pools of chocolate in the crevices. It's highly addictive.
You also don't need a stove to make puppy chow. There's ZERO reason why you should have to clean both a pan and a bowl. Just use one large microwave-safe bowl for the easiest clean up.
What I can't promise you is that you won't have powdered sugar everywhere if you're making this with kids. I make no guarantees.
What Ingredients Will You Need?
The ingredients are simple and straight-forward. You likely already have most of these ingredients in your pantry:
- unsalted butter
- semisweet chocolate chips
- Chex cereal
- powdered sugar
Other Snacks You'll Love
- Easy and Creamy White Bean "Hummus"
- Egg-in-a-Hole Toasts
- Homemade Hummus
- Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese and Honey
- Homemade Dunkaroos
Happy reminiscing about the good ole days!
As always, if you make anything from the blog, be sure to let me know! I love hearing from you in the comments on this post below or find Worn Slap Out on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Nutella Puppy Chow
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 12 oz box rice cereal (like Chex or Crispix)
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- In a very large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips together, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Whisk in the Nutella until combined.
- Pour the cereal into chocolate mixture slowly, carefully folding the chocolate over the cereal to coat using a spatula.
- Scoop cereal into a gallon-sized plastic bag. Slowly add powdered sugar, close bag, and gently shake. Stop and eat or add more sugar to taste.
Let Me Know What You Think!