These cold Shrimp Avocado Salad Lettuce Wraps require zero cooking and is just what summertime needs. Healthy and simple -- sometimes these are the best meals.
During this 4 month quarantine so far, I've gone through more flour, buttermilk, and heavy cream than I have gone through probably in the previous 4 years. Tough times call for tough measures.
While I'm certainly not worried because we eat generally healthy, there are many times when I need to get back to the basics and eat a really fresh, simple salad. This shrimp and avocado salad is one of those things. We don't prescribe to diets, but if you do -- this one is Whole 30, dairy-free, low-carb, gluten free, and paleo. It's made simply with whole ingredients.
Ingredients Needed for Shrimp and Avocado Salad Lettuce Wraps
- butter lettuce
- cooked shrimp
- red onion
- olive oil
- jalapeno or serrano pepper (optional)
- salt + pepper
How to Make a Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and give it a good stir. Then put the shrimp salad onto your lettuce wraps. I use either Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce.
Don't forget to include all that good tomato juice, too. When the tomato and lime juice marries with the avocado, it creates a very simple, creamy sauce the salad is coated in.
Some Like It Hot
If you're one of those people like my husband who's always looking at how they can take the heat factor up a notch, try replacing Jalapeño peppers with serrano peppers. Those things are spicy!
Me on the other hand? I take out the peppers entirely (I know...I know...).
Other Summertime Meal Ideas
- Dutch Oven Pulled Pork uses the oven but it requires about 15 minutes of hands-on time and the rest is left to the oven. Low and slow!
- Flank Steak with Blueberry Balsamic Sauce - Don't be scared of putting fruit on your steak. I swear it's delicious!
- One Skillet Lemon Orzo Chicken -- I had you at "one skillet," right?
- Roasted Salmon with Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salsa is another simple summertime meal that's one of my favorites.
- Peach and Prosciutto Flatbreads sound absolutely delicious and are going to be on my menu this week.
Shrimp and Avocado Salad Wrap
- 1 butter or bibb lettuce washed and whole leaves removed
- 1 lb cooked shrimp chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno or serrano seeds removed, finely diced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt black pepper to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Place butter lettuce on individual plates. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Toss gently to combine. Place on individual pieces of lettuce and enjoy!