Or should I say puddin' pie? This chocolate pudding pie is a Southern classic with its creamy and decadent filling. It's made with pantry staples -- you'll wonder why you don't make this more often!
I'm a chocolate fiend. If you give me the choice between a fruit dessert or a chocolate one, I'm going to choose the chocolate one every time. What I often have trouble thinking about is what kind of chocolate dessert I want. Brownies? Not today. Cake? I don't know about a whole cake for myself. Chocolate chip cookies? Always a classic. Chocolate pudding pie? YES! It's the dessert I forget is so crazy easy to make. You get the texture that's so wonderful (creamy, luxurious chocolate!) that screams comfort -- and all over a crispy 10-minute graham cracker crust. What's not to like?
Take Shortcuts...I Won't Tell
The graham cracker crust can definitely be purchased in the grocery store if you don't have the time or ingredients (graham crackers, sugar, and butter). If you have those 3 ingredients -- it's a matter of sticking everything in a food processor, spreading onto a pie plate, and baking for 10 minutes.
You CAN also use store-bought chocolate pudding, but I really encourage you to make the pudding from scratch because it tastes way better homemade, doesn't contain all that "junk," and also requires very little effort. If you don't have the ingredients and want to use a pudding pack, cook the pudding according to the package directions and spread into your graham cracker crust.
Last but not least, if you want to top with Cool Whip or other whipped cream topping, great! Homemade or store bought whipped cream works well. Use these shortcuts when you need to and don't feel guilty about it.
Pudding Ingredients: Everything You Already Have
Here are the ingredients you'll need for the pudding -- about 8 ingredients. Most everything is probably already in your pantry.
- granulated sugar
- cornstarch -- this is the thickening agent for the pudding.
- whole milk
- egg yolks
- bittersweet chocolate
- semi-sweet chocolate chips -- I like to use a combination of both semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate for a little more flavor. If you only have one, no biggie. Just double.
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter
- whipped cream (optional for serving)
How to Make Easy Chocolate Pie
First, start with your graham cracker crust. Place graham crackers and sugar in a food processor and process until the crackers are crumbs. Then slowly pulse the melted butter in. Spread in a pie plate and bake for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make your chocolate pudding filling by whisking sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk and egg yolks until combined over medium heat. Continue whisking until the mixture is *just* about to start boiling. It should start to thicken at this point.
Turn off the heat and immediately add chocolate, butter, and vanilla until everything is melted and combined. Pour into your cooled off graham cracker crust. Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 4 hours before slicing.
Tips and Tricks
- So fun to make mini. This is a great dessert to make in mini pie pans to create an individual chocolate pudding pie for your guests. Not only can it be a beautiful presentation, but you get a higher crust to pudding ratio, which is always okay in my book.
- Mix up your crust. I love a good Oreo crust or shortbread crust. This would even be great with standard flaky, buttery pie crust. What's your favorite pairing?
- Top with whipped cream, merengue, or a frozen whipped topping, depending on your preference and the amount of time you have available.
As always, if you make anything from the blog, be sure to let me know! I love hearing from you in the comments on this post below or find Worn Slap Out on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Homemade Chocolate Pudding Pie
For the graham cracker crust:
- 12 whole graham cracker sheets
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, choped in small pieces
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- whipped cream, for serving
- In a food processor, combine graham crackers and sugar. Process on high until the crackers become crumbs. Slowly add in melted butter and pulse until graham crackers feel like wet sand. Spread evently in a pie pan -- coating the bottom and sides and using a measuring cup to pack the crackers down. Bake crust at 350˚F for 9 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk and egg yolks until combined. Continue whisking until the mixture is *just* about to start boiling. The mixture should start to thicken at this point. Turn off the heat and immediately add chocolate, butter, and vanilla until everything is melted and combined.
- Pour pudding over cooled graham cracker crust. Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Top with a generous amount of whipped cream before serving!
Let Me Know What You Think!