Sheet Pan Lemon Herb Chicken is weeknight perfection with Italian herbs, zesty lemon, potatoes and onions that all cook at the same time. Easy, healthy, and minimal clean up!
There’s just no preparing you for some Mondays and sometimes I think that’s totally unfair. It was a work day full of complaining adults who brought no solutions to the table…just lots of complaining without any reprieve. Complaining adults become….wait that doesn’t really work. Complaining adults continue to be complaining adults. Ugh. Let’s teach our children well, k? On the bright side, this was actually the first Monday I didn’t get a phone call from the nurse at my son’s elementary school informing me of some BS reason why he was in there — you know — just hanging out, bouncing on the cots, complaining of some fictitious boo boo. So there’s that.
How to cook sheet pan dinners right
I’ve written about a few sheet pan dinners ( Easy Sheep Pan Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Caprese, and Chicken Wings with Summer Veggies, or this very old (but delicious) recipe with shrimp). I only like sheet pan dinners when they’re done right, meaning when the food on the sheep pan all require the exact same cooking time. There are some recipes out there that are terrible matches, like potatoes with asparagus, for example. Asparagus cooks much quicker than potatoes, so you’re left with soggy, gross asparagus. You just have to be careful.
Regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions are great to roast together with chicken. I used drumsticks here, but you could easily substitute any type of chicken — skin-on, bone-in thighs being my other favorite. I also love this because I can get super lazy with it and toss the seasonings onto the chicken and veggies all on the sheet pan. No bowl required.
What if I don’t have Italian seasoning?
Never fear. Use a combination of rosemary, oregano, basil, and thyme. You’ll get the exact same flavor combination as if you had the bottle that was already mixed for you.
Other Monday favorites:
- Easy Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Avocado Crema is divine. Like totally, 100% delicious. It may not be summer anymore, but fish tacos are delicious any time of year.
- Slow Roasted Salmon with Yogurt Tahini Dressing is great when you need something to just sit in the oven while you handle the million other balls you’re juggling in the air.
- Baked Pork Chops with Roasted Asparagus and Cauliflower Gnocchi is amazing because everything comes out at the same time, and it feels like magic.
- Baked Rosemary Lemon Chicken is another great option. You can use any kind of chicken you have on hand.
- More sheet pan dinner options from Damn Delicious! These look unbelievably good.
Sheet Pan Lemon Herb Roasted Drumsticks
- 2 1/2 pounds drumsticks
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 baking potato, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lemon zested, then sliced for garnish
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper (just to make clean-up all the easier).
- Pat drumsticks dry. Place chicken, potatoes, and onion on the sheet pan. Using hands, toss in olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and lemon zest until well coated. Distribute veggies and meat in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes. Place under broiler for the last 2 minutes to get the chicken more browned and crispy. Serve immediately.